Skip to content


September 17, 2012

Tomorrow,I will return to work for the first time since July 2011.Well,that is a bit of a lie as I did have a failed attempt in April and everything went a bit wrong; went back for two weeks at the start of the school year,sat through hours of staff meetings and taught for the grand total of 4 hours ,before succumbing to a cold.And that developed into bronchitis again,so I had a 6 week hospital stay,joined by Annie for the last 10 days as she developed mycoplasma pneumonia.Then I managed a month at home which brought us to July,and I found myself back in hospital with  Emilie who was admitted  for a week with mycoplasma pneumonia.Then we came home,but just 4 days later,I was unwell,went to see the doctor and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks with fully blown pneumonia.I insisted on going home after 2 weeks as a couple of friends and children were due to come down for a visti.The doctor gave in and let me out 2 weeks earlier than he wanted ,but being with my friends(who looked after me,K and the girls so well) was the best medicine.And I was fine…..until September arrived ;  due to start back at work on September 3rd,I got really bad asthma just days before, due,we discovered,to the rice dust created by the rice harvest in all the fields around the town.Anyway,the doctor wanted to play it safe and have me in hospital yet again but I kind of refused and asked to be treated as an out-patient.He agreed,TG,and I spent every morning for 2 weeks going in to get a couple of IVs and seeing being seen by the doctor.But it worked!

Which brings us to today,Monday,and a public holiday.A rather large typhoon passed us by last night and into the early hours of the morning but we escaped lightly but it is still very wet and rather windy out.The girls are at their grandparent’s house and Kenichi and I are just having a quiet afternoon and are out later to have a meal at my in-laws house.I have to dig out my work bag from the boot of the car; it has sat there since my last day of work  in April.I think I am procrastinating a tiny bit perhaps.I have very mixed feelings about tomorrow.In many ways,I would love to just stay at home and be a stay at home mum(with both kids out of the house all day…ha!) as I have really enjoyed being able to concentrate on looking after the family ,cook,clean,watch TV and concentrate solely on home related things for the first time ever really.But in many ways,I know I will enjoy the social aspect of working and being able to stretch my teaching wings a little .I do enjoy teaching and the challenges of my job.I do.I really do.But balancing work and family is quite a feat.And financially,well,that goes without saying and now we have the mortgage,I really do need to start earing.Kenichi will be able to relax a little more as well,me thinks!

SO,time to dust off my bag,and horror of horrors, psych myself up for tomorrow,as I  have to wear socks for the first time for about 5 months…..Deep breaths,deep breaths.


ETA  that I just had a call from my MIL to say that Millie has just woken up from a 4 hour nap(???!) with a fever of 39.5C.We are fated!But I must be at work tomorrow so my MIL will look after Emilie.Honestly,this is getting beyond a joke,but still have to laugh!

22 Comments leave one →
  1. September 17, 2012 4:42 pm

    wow, that is a long break from work!! good luck tomorrow!

    • September 17, 2012 9:09 pm

      Still doing my deep brething,lol!Bag at the ready but the only one I could find was a cool bag; the one I used before needs a wash,lol!

  2. September 17, 2012 6:39 pm

    GOOD LUCK!!!
    Hope Millie recovers quickly as well. Glad your MIL is able to look after her.
    Fingers crossed all goes well. I do have days when I think that staying at home and looking after the house etc would be blissful (especially as Joey is at school all day! LOL!) but then I have a great day at work where I come out knackered but fulfilled and I know I am doing the right thing!!

    • September 17, 2012 9:09 pm

      Reading your words really calmed me down.Fulliment…exactly!!!!

  3. September 17, 2012 7:48 pm

    Seems like some kind of supernatural power doesn’t want you to go back to work. Tell your employer you can’t be at work tomorrow because the stars want you to stay at home and watch TV. I mean, who in their right mind would challenge the stars?! Anyway, take care, good luck and I hope Millie recovers quickly.

    • September 17, 2012 9:19 pm

      OMG,tell me about it!Every time,something happens!I think it is my dad who used to say that everything would work out great eventually- HA!.Well,then,where the hell is the lottery win Daddy??! As for Millie,hoping for the best, but think she has gone down with the mumps for the second time.First time she ended up in hospital with complications and menegitis.She was complaining of sore throat,sore cheeks and still with high fever before passing out on the sofa.Must remember to take her up to bed…..;)

  4. Elle permalink
    September 17, 2012 9:14 pm

    Oh dear, it really is like Providence is trying to intervene. Of course, it’s only a coincidence and please God Millie will be all better by the morning. And even if she isn’t your MIL will take good care of her. I do hope she gets well soon.
    It must be exciting and daunting facing your first day back. An “almost” year is a long time, but you know yourself one hour in and it’ll be like you never had a respite at all. Are you going back full or part time? It’s a nice week to start back in that it’s only a four day week.
    I hope it all goes great, enjoy

  5. September 17, 2012 9:22 pm

    We are hoping and praying , but with our track record .,I was actually kind of expecting something to happen,lol !I am back “full-time” BUT new working hours and I work from 8am – 1pm.And that is wonderful as I can see Annie off in the moring,take Emilie to daycare then be home for Annie, and able to pick up Millie.So the children don’t have any changes and to them,I am always home;).x

    • Elle permalink
      September 17, 2012 10:24 pm

      That is a really good schedule. Sounds like you and the kids will get the best of both worlds with those hours. I hope it’s not the mumps, I didn’t realise you could get that twice. It is so tough when the sick cycle just goes round and round, on them of course the poor mites, but also on you. It must be so hard on you, I hope you’re ok?

      • September 18, 2012 6:21 am

        I do have good times,but just after writing them.DH mentioned that there may be a problem due to the number of consecutive work hours allowed by law; I may have to have a break (ie lunch!) in between which bring me to 2pm.Do hope not!Will find out later today.

        As for the mumps,I had no idea either until the girls went down with the mumps last year.The doctor warned us that they may come back if the attack is mild the first time.Also,if just one side is affected,there is a chance that the other side is affected at a later date.Oh dear!Both girls had the mumps pretty mildly ffirst time round and no visable swellig etc.But both ended up in hospital as it developed into menigitis as I mentioned above in a comment.

        And indeed,it is really tough having to work when the kids are sick,and the thing I hate most about working.Usually,I always try to be with them and use my leave,but in this case,I really can’t be absent for a few weeks unless there is an emergency.Very frustrating !I will take Milie to see the doctor this afternoon although my MIL did offer to take her this morning.But I need to hear what the doctor says,not what my MIL thinks he said;)

      • Elle permalink
        September 18, 2012 3:44 pm

        Hehe! I get that! I hope it goes well at the Doctors.

      • September 18, 2012 6:29 pm

        Well,just said it all in my comment below,but all is fine again!Very odd,but wonderful:).

  6. AnneMarie permalink
    September 18, 2012 11:43 am

    How did it go today? Hope you had a good day and the new schedule stays in place. Bet the kids at school were glad to see you!
    Hope Millie is better too – and it doesn’t develop into anything other than anxiety about you going back to work? Mumps, go away!!
    Off to lunch today with Claire and a few of the other usual suspects!! We’ll have a toast to you with our water! LOL Best of luck.

  7. September 18, 2012 6:28 pm

    Thank you AnneMarie!It went pretty well and was so good to see the kids at the school(my favourite) as I hadn’t seen many of them for over a year.They only gave me 2 classes,bless them, so it went by so fast.Exhausted now!

    And as for Emilie…well,it is a total mystery!Her fever rose to just over 40C late last night but this morning,it had dropped to 37C.She spent the morning with MIL who ,despite both K and I asking her to keep Emilie inside,decided that the kid was fine and they spent the morning in the fields.Millie was hyper -active when I went to pick her up and has remained on a high ever since..No face/glandular pain,no tummy ache and her fever back to normal and actually down to 35C(a first !).So who knows?!But it obvioulsy wasn’t the mumps,TG,and I think you are spot on with your assessment and think it may have been anxiety.Long may the healthy bit last:).

    Hope you had a fabulous lunch with the girls and enjoyed your water and chat.Wish I could have been there! x

    • Elle permalink
      September 18, 2012 8:19 pm

      That is great Marianne. How random about the fever, but hey who cares so long as she’s well again. Hopefully it’ll all be plain sailing from here. Good luck

    • AnneMarie permalink
      September 19, 2012 11:02 am

      Glad to hear that the fever disappeared! Must be a relief! Take it easy – and stay out of that other place (have found that vocalising certain things cause them to happen – most especially a little underground varmint that leaves fresh soil hills in our garden – don’t say its name out loud!! LOL ).

      • September 19, 2012 1:42 pm

        LOL!Will not say either of those dirty words;)

  8. September 18, 2012 8:55 pm

    As you say,random, and no time to think why and what that was about,lol!Just accept;) Plain sailing …not too much to ask for…for you and for us;) x

  9. September 18, 2012 11:01 pm

    It’s fate. You are meant to live a luxury life at home 🙂 I hope this is a short fever for Millie, you’ll really enjoy having the extra income once you’re finally back at work.

  10. September 19, 2012 7:15 am

    Thank you!She will be back at daycare today,and delighted as she missed her teachers and friends it seems.And yes,if only I could live a life of luxury at home.But not to be, and we need that dosh;)

    • Elle permalink
      September 19, 2012 10:15 pm

      That’s great she’s back in daycare and everything already. How was your second day?

  11. September 21, 2012 9:12 pm

    Second day was good too! Just finished Day 4 and all went really well ,witrh 2 hours of active teacing each day,and I feel confident in myself that I can and will cope:). But rather tired which is to be expected,lol.Thanks so much for your concern.Means a lot x

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: